The October 2020 iteration of Conversations has improved the collaborative experience for both LawVu users and external parties by incorporating the following key improvements:
- Matter Comments have been combined into the new conversation tab
- Conversations are globally accessible from the right-hand toolbar in LawVu. This allows you to communicate in a chat-like fashion, regardless of where you are in LawVu
In this article:
- Overview of conversations
- Creating a conversation
- Conversation details
- Adding & removing members
- Adding people outside of LawVu
- Adding files
- Private conversations
- Exporting a conversation
Overview of conversations
The conversations module provides an intuitive chat-like experience that encourages cooperation on matters and contracts. Use conversations to add comments; keep abreast of progress; share links, files, and images; include non-LawVu users on the conversation; use @mentions to draw the attention of specific people, and discuss sensitive matters in private.
Use the conversation speech bubbles icon to expand and collapse the conversations interface.
You can also click the maximize icon to enter full-screen mode.
The Conversations module behaves differently depending on location. Clicking the conversations icon inside a matter (or contract) will display the conversations specific to that matter. However, accessing conversations from the toolbar at the top of your screen displays All Conversations.
Having accessed All Conversations from the toolbar the module thereby functions more like an inbox, displaying all the conversations on which you are a member.
Creating a Conversation
Every time a new matter or contract is created a "General" conversation will be generated automatically.
To create additional conversations use the + Start a new conversation button
Clicking the "i" Conversation Details icon in the top-right of the screen opens a sidebar from which you can configure your conversation settings.
Using the four buttons along the top you can:
- Rename - change the title of the conversation
- Mute - disables the email notifications for this specific conversation
- Delete - to deleting the conversation. A future update will archive these conversations so they are retrievable.
- Join/Leave - Join a conversation to receive notifications when a conversation iis updated. Remove yourself from the conversation. As a member on the matter or contract you will still be able to view any public conversations. However, you will no longer receive notifications.
From the Conversation Details sidebar you can also access four tabs: Privacy, Members, Email recipients, and Attachments.
Adding & removing members
Anyone with the correct permissions to view the matter or contract will be able to view all public conversations contained therein.
To ADD specific people to conversation simply invite them by either of the following methods:
- Select specific members as you create the conversation.
- Hover your cursor over the people icon above the chatbox. This will produce a popover listing the current conversation members. Click this to go straight to the Members tab within Conversation details.
3. Click the Conversation details icon in the top right of an existing conversation, expand the Members tab, and use the + Add people button.
4. Alternatively, if someone has the correct permissions to view the matter and you @mention them, they will also be brought into the conversation.
To REMOVE someone from the conversation simply:
- Click the Conversation details icon in the top right of an existing conversation
- Expand the Members tab
- Click the "x" beside the appropriate conversation member.
Including someone outside of LawVu
We understand that as part of your day-to-day work life you will continuously interact with people outside of LawVu. In the interest of aiding collaboration, external parties operating outside of LawVu can still be added to the conversation through the use of Email Recipients.
To add an email recipient:
- Click the Conversation details icon
- Expand the Email recipients tab
- Use + Add email recipients.
Alternatively, hover your cursor over the email recipients envelope icon above the chatbox and click it to go directly to the Email Recipients tab.
Once an email recipient has been added they will receive an email every time a member contributes to that conversation.
You can also add someone outside of LawVu by sending them the matter email address and instructing them to send correspondence to that. Once they send an email to the matter email address, as well as contributing to the conversation, they will be added as an email recipient until they are removed.
Below the chatbox is the Send me a copy checkbox. Tick this to receive an emailed copy of every message you send. This will continue for every subsequent message you send until this option is unticked.
You will receive a notification whenever a reply is posted into a conversation on which you are a member.
Use @Mentions to target your message to specific recipients.
If your intended recipient is not on the conversation but has the correct permissions to view the matter, you can use @Mentions to add them.
You can add quickly and easily files to your message by using the standard paperclip attachment icon in the chatbox. Browse for and attach files from within LawVu, as well as from your local storage.
Once the files have been posted in a message, simply hover your cursor over the paperclip icon within the message. A popover appears listing the files; click on each file to launch the file previewed and download from there if required.
The full list of files that have been shared during a conversation can be viewed from within Conversation details. Expand the Attachments tab to view the full list of files in chronological upload order.
Conversations can either be public or private. Hover your cursor over the public or private designation to view a tooltip that explains the rules for each.
Click here to read how to communicate securely and discreetly on matters and contracts using private conversations.
Exporting a conversation
There is currently no way to export an individual conversation.
However, when you export a matter it creates a zip file that can be retrieved from the Activity/Timeline tab in the matter. The zip file will contain a batch of files, one of which is an export of all the conversations on that matter.